Bio Words referring to life :
biolite to biolytic
Part 8 of 20
bio-, bi-, -bia, -bial, -bian, -bion, -biont, -bius, -biosis,
-bium, -biotic, -biotical, -biotic (Greek: life; living, live, alive).
Dont confuse this element with another bi- that means two.
If you would like to take a self-scoring quiz over some of the words in this section, then click Bio-Quiz
so you can see
how much you know about the following bio
Any rock or group of minerals formed from organic material or by the action of organisms.
1. A rock of organic origin.
2. A rock that is formed from or by organic material, either by noncombustible, inorganic processes that form an acaustobiolith, or by combustible, organic processes that form a caustobiolith (a combustible organic rock).
Any limestone of an organic nature such as a reef rock or stromatolite.
Pertaining to living organisms or life processes.
Medicinal preparations made from living organisms and their products, including serums, vaccines, antigens, antitoxins, etc.
The interpretation of human life from a strictly biological point of view.
A specialist or expert in biology or one who studies biology.
The intelligent power displayed in organic activities.
biology, biologic, biological:
1. The science concerned with the phenomena of life and living
2. The science of physical life; the division of physical science that deals with organized beings or animals and plants, their morphology, physiology, origin, and distribution.
3. The study of human life and living.
1. The emission of light by living organisms; also, the light so produced.
2. Light produced by certain organisms from the oxidation of luciferins through the action of luciferases and with negligible production of heat, chemical energy being converted directly into light energy.
3. The generation and emission of light by living organisms such as fireflies, some bacteria and fungi, and many marine animals.
1. Chemical decomposition of organic matter brought about by bacteria, etc.
2. Disintegration of organic matter through the chemical action of living organisms.
1. Life destroying or destructive to life.
2. Related to biolysis.
You may take a self-scoring quiz over some of the words in this section by just clicking on Bio Quiz #3
to check your word knowledge.