Cide Words A-F: aborticide to lupicide,
Part 1 of 2.
Words that include -cide, -cides, -cidal
(Latin: a suffix; kill, killer; murder, to cause death, slayer; cutter; to cut down).
Dont confuse this element with the another -cide that means to cut; although -cide, death, is related to -cise, -cide, to cut down.
The killing of a fetus.
The killing of mites.
The killing of adult insects as opposed to larvae.
The killing of algae; a preparation used for destroying algae.
Killing another person; murder.
amebicide, amebicidal, amoebicide:
That which kills amebae.
The act of murdering ones friend.
The killing of anopheles mosquitoes.
The killing of anthrax bacteria.
The killing of aphids.
The killing of bees.
Slaughter of boars.
The killing of spiders, scorpions, etc.
The wanton destruction of trees.
The killing of roundworms.
1. Another form of suicide; that is, self-killing or killing ones self.
2. Someone has suggested that it means suicide by crashing ones automobile; however, the auto here refers to self not an automobile.
The slaughter of birds; shooting or poisoning birds.
An agent or substance that destroys bacilli.
bactericide, bacteriacide, bacteriocide:
A substance that destroys bacteria.
1. The gradual destruction of bodily tissues as the result of unhealthy self-indulgence.
2. The destruction of life in general.
3. Pertaining to that which kills living organisms.
The killing of pests, especially insects.
A slayer of oxen; a butcher.
The killing of dogs; a dog-killer.
The killing of deer.
The killing of whale.
culicicide, culicicidal, culicidal:
An insecticide for destroying gnats and mosquitoes.
The killing of cells.
The killing of a czar (tsar).
Killing a god or the killer of a divine being.
The killing of a master or one who kills a master.
The destruction or damage of the environment; especially, when done intentionally.
Killing elephants or an elephant.
The crime of murdering a bishop.
The killing of animal parasites.
The deliberate and systematic destruction of the culture of an ethnic group; especially, within a larger community.
A destroyer of ones reputation; slanderer.
The killing of fever or anything that reduces a fever.
Killing a cat or cats, cat-slaying.
femicide, femicidal [rare: feminicide]
The killing of a woman or one who kills a woman.
The action of destroying a fetus or causing an abortion.
A breaker of ones word or trust; a faith-destroyer.
The killing of filariae (roundworms).
1. One who kills a son or daughter; a slayer of his/her own child.
2. The action of killing a son or daughter.
One who destroys flowers.
The killing of ants.
fratricide, fratricidal, fratercide, fratercidal:
1. One who kills his/her brother.
2. The action of killing ones brother.
The destruction of fungi or something used to kill fungi (spores).
A killer of fowls.
The killing of hens, or turkeys, or poultry in general.
The killing of malarial parasites.
The deliberate and systematic extermination of an ethnic or national group.
1. That which kills germs; specifically, an agent used to destroy disease-germs.
2. Destructive to germs.
A giant-killer or the killing of giants.
The killing of blood corpuscles.
The killing of gonococci; the causative agent of gonorrhea.
Involving the slaughter of the common people.
The killing of a woman or women.
The killing of intestinal worms.
Any chemical agent that is toxic to some or all plants and is used to destroy unwanted vegetation.
Putting a heretic to death.
The murder of a lord or master.
1. The killing of any human being, whether lawfully or unlawfully; in law there are various types: murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, excusable homicide, felonious homicide, etc.
2. One who kills a human being; a man-slayer; in earlier use often a murderer.
Any kind of mental disease were there is an attempt or desire on the part of a patient to kill or to commit murder.
One who kills his guest or host.
One who kills his enemy.
The murdering of a hymn; i.e. by alterations.
The killing of adult insects; especially, mosquitoes.
1. One who kills an infant.
2. The killing of infants; especially, the custom of killing new-born infants, which prevailed in primitive societies, and was common in the ancient world.
3. The crime of murdering an infant after its birth, perpetrated by or with the consent of its parents; especially, the mother.
1. One who or that which kills insects, an insect-killer; specifically, a preparation used for destroying insects.
2. The killing of insects.
A preparation adapted to kill larvae.
A destroyer of laws.
The killing of hares (rabbits).
The killing of leukocytes (white blood corpuscles).
1. A killer or destroyer of liberty.
2. The killing of liberty; destructive of liberty.
The killing or destruction of a book.
To kill a word or the destruction of a word.
The killing of roundworms.
The killing of wolves.