Words Showing Similarities or Equivalence to Something Else: herpestine to lyncine,
Part 4 of 7.
The suffix Greek > Latin: -ine is used to form hundreds of words that mean similar to, resembling, like, characterized by, or of the nature of.
Similar to mongooses.
Resembling blood; blood-red.
In medicine, of or belonging to a day; daily; applied to a fever.
Pertaining to seahorses or resembling a seahorses.
Pertaining to hippopotami or resembling a hippopotamus.
1. A reference to zebras.
2. Having the characteristics of zebras.
Of, belonging to, or resembling a goat; having a goatish smell or strong odor; lustful.
Of or pertaining to leeches.
Of or pertaining to swallows and martins.
Related to or having the characteristics of a lobster.
1. Of or belonging to man zoologically; of the human species.
2. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of a hominine or Homininae.
Resembling glass, as in translucence or transparency; glassy.
A reference to hyenas. Like or characteristic of a hyena;
A reference to gibbons.
A reference to porcupines.
A reference to or related to the ibis.
A reference to or related to blackbirds, bobolinks, meadowlarks, and orioles.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of a child, infantile.
Belonging to or characteristic of an insect.
Characterized by bloodshed or carnage.
1. Consisting or made of ivory.
2. White and smooth like ivory.
Resembling horn; horny; corneous.
A reference to lizards.
Of or pertaining to a lake or lakes. Said especially of plants and animals inhabiting lakes, and the geology of strata, etc., which originated by deposition at the bottom of lakes; also with reference to lake-dwellings; such as those of prehistoric Europe.
Of or pertaining to the Lampyrinae or fire-flies.
A reference to rabbits.
1. A reference to gulls.
2. The family Laridae includes gulls and terns characterized by cosmopolitan families with about 85 species of small to large Charadriiformes seabirds with coloration mostly black or white. They are gregarious, monogamous, migratory, and nest on the ground, on cliffs, or in trees; and feed on a variety of aquatic animals and carrion.
A reference to lemurs.
1. A reference to lions.
2. Figuratively, it may refer to massive heads, particularly those with sweeping hair styles as shown with Beethoven.
Characteristic of a leopard or the family of leopards.
1. Pertaining to a hare or hares; of the nature or form of a hare (related to rabbits but with longer ears, large hind feet, and long, powerful legs for jumping).
2. Also defined as being of or characteristic of rabbits or hares.
Of or pertaining to the slug; similar to a slug.
Of or pertaining to the Limicolae, a family of shore or wading birds; especially the plovers, sandpipers, and phalaropes.
A reference to earthworms of the family Lumbricina.
Having the nature or qualities of a wolf; such as, being rapacious and ravenous. A reference to wolves.
A reference to otters of the family Lutrinaeor.
A reference to lynxes.