Words Showing Similarities or Equivalence to Something Else: paludine to rupicaprine,
Part 6 of 7.
The suffix Greek > Latin: -ine is used to form hundreds of words that mean similar to, resembling, like, characterized by, or of the nature of.
Of or pertaining to a marsh.
Belonging to the wood-pigeon or ring-dove.
1. Resembling a panther, spotted like a panther; of, belonging to, or characteristic of a panther.
2. Applied to a fierce or savage man.
1. Resembling paper.
2. Made of pypyrus.
Belonging to the leopard family; pertaining to leopards.
Belonging to or having the characteristics of the subfamily Parinae of passerine birds (the true titmice).
Of or relating to birds of the order Passeriformes, which includes perching birds and songbirds such as the jays, blackbirds, finches, warblers, and sparrows.
1. A reference to the peacock.
2. Of or pertaining to, resembling or characteristics of a peacock.
3. Resembling the neck or the tail of the peacock in coloring, design, or iridescence.
Applied to birds that build pendulous nests. Pendulous nests are described as those that are suspended so they swing or sway.
Of or related to barracudas.
Of or related to a partridge; pertaining to the subfamily Perdicin of the family Phasianidae, of which Perdix, the partridge, is the typical genus.
Pertaining to a petal; situated on a petal; consisting of petals; resembling a petal, petaloid.
Of or related to parsley.
1. A reference to cormorants.
2. Any of various widely distributed aquatic birds of the genus Phalacrocorax, wih dark plumage, webbed feet, a hooked bill, and a distensible pouch.
3. When applied to people, it represents a rapacious or greedy characteristic.
A reference to pheasants.
Of or pertaining to a Filipino, or to the Philippine Islands.
1. A smug, ignorant, especially middle-class person who is regarded as being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values.
2. One who lacks knowledge in a specific area.
3. Boorish; barbarous.
A reference to porpoises.
A reference to seals; pertaining to the sub-family Phocinae, containing the seals proper.
A reference to woodpeckers; of, pertaining to, or allied to woodpeckers.
Of the nature of hair, hairy.
A reference to fish; of, pertaining to, of the nature of, or characteristic of a fish or fishes.
1. In zoology, a monkey belonging to the infraorder Platyrrhini of the order Primates, distinguished by a flattened nose with widely separated nostrils facing outwards and including most of the New World monkeys.
2. Of or pertaining to this group of monkeys. Having the nose, or the nasal bones, flat or broad; a platyrrhine person or skull.
1. Of, or pertaining to, or designating ants of the subfamily Ponerin, which includes mainly tropical species.
2. A ponerine ant.
1. Of or consisting of swine; related to or resembling the swine (pigs and hogs).
2. Resembling or suggesting a hog, like that of a hog (in appearance, manners, or character); swinish, hoggish, piggish.
Of, relating to, or typical of the earliest time or condition; primitive or original.
A reference to raccoons and kinkajous.
1. A reference to parrots.
2. Of or belonging to a parrot or to the parrot family (parrots, parakeets, macaws, and pudgerigars); figuratively, parrot-like.
A reference to bats.
Of or relating to fleas.
Of or pertaining to the oak; made of oak, oaken.
A reference to rails (a small brownish marsh bird of the family Rallidae, having long toes and stubby wings adapted only for short flights).
Resembling the reindeer.
A reference to caribous and reindeer.
1. Pertaining to a frog; frog-like.
2. In anatomy, belonging to the under side of the tip of the tongue.
Pertaining to a rat; rat-like.
1. A reference to rhinoceroses.
2. Characteristic of or resembling a rhinoceros.
A root-like structure on the underside of a lichen, consisting of one or several rhizoids.
1. Of or pertaining to a river; resembling a river.
2. Situated or dwelling on the banks of a river; riparian.
A reference to Indian swamp deer.
A reference to chamoix.