Words Showing Similarities or Equivalence to Something Else: sabeline to zibeline,
Part 7 of 7.
The suffix Greek > Latin: -ine is used to form hundreds of words that mean similar to, resembling, like, characterized by, or of the nature of.
A reference to sables.
1. Of, pertaining to or of the nature of sugar;.
2. Characteristic of sugar; sugary.
3. Composed chiefly of sugar; of a plant, containing a large proportion of sugar.
4. With reference to urine, containing sugar in excess of what is normal.
1. A reference to salamanders.
2. Any of various small-lizardlike amphibians of the order Caudata, having porous scaleless skin and four rudimentary legs.
3. A mythical creature, generally resembling a lizard, believed capable of living in or withstanding fire; so, being able to resist fire, or to live in it.
Of, relating to, characteristic of, or containing salt; salty.
1. Of or pertaining to blood; consisting of or containing blood; like blood.
2. In medieval and later physiology; belonging to that one of the four complexions which was supposed to be characterized by the predominance of the blood over the other three humors, and indicated by a ruddy countenance and a courageous, hopeful, and amorous disposition.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of a sapphire; especially the color.
Having the temperament of one born under the supposed astrological influence of Saturn; that is, melancholy, sullen, or having the tendency to be bitter or sardonic.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of those creatures, or plants, that grow on or live among rocks.
1. Like a sciurine rodent or squirrel; of, or pertaining to squirrels.
2. Of, belonging to, or resembling the Sciuridae, a family of rodents that includes the squirrels and related mammals.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of numerous centipedes of the family Scolopendridae, especially the larger ones.
Of or belonging to the sepal of a flower.
Of or resembling a serpent, as in form or movement; sinuous, subtly sly, and tempting.
1. Pertaining to, uttered or written by, one or more of the Sibyls.
2. Oracular, occult, mysterious.
Left; to the left.
Of, belonging to, or resembling the shrews.
Of, relating to, resembling, or charactersitic of a sphinx.
A reference to screech-owls.
Seen during sleep.
Of the nature of a spider.
A reference to swallows and starlings.
A reference to hogs.
Characteristic of those that inhabit woods or forests; such as, birds, plants, animals, etc.
A reference to tigers.
1. Of or pertaining to, or native of Tangier, a seaport in Morocco, on the Strait of Gibraltar.
2. A small flattened deep-coloured variety of orange originally from Tangier, Citrus nobilis variety, Tangeriana.
A reference to tapirs.
1. Of, pertaining to, of the nature of, or resembling a bull; bovine.
2. Also pertaining to bull-fighting.
A reference to grouse and ptarmigans.
Of or pertaining to weaving.
Of, pertaining to, or resembling a tiger, especially in marking or coloring.
A reference to armadillos.
A reference to sandpipers.
A reference to hummingbirds.
A reference to thrushes; such as, bluebirds and robins.
1. Of certain silkworms: producing one brood per annum.
2. There are multivoltines. Some species produce one, two, three, four, six, or even eight broods per annum, and in the commercial world are distinguished as, univoltines, bivoltins, trivoltins, quadrivoltins, etc.
Of the nature of, resembling or having the essential characteristics of, a bear; consisting of bears.
1. Having the same mother, but not the same father.
2. Of, pertaining or belonging to, the uterus; situated in, connected with, the womb.
1. Derived from, pertaining or relating to, cows.
2. Appearing in, characteristic of, the disease of cow-pox.
Of or pertaining to the abdomen.
Of or belonging to, comprising or consisting of, a large distinct group of insectivorous bats included in the sub-order Microchiroptera.
Of, relating to, or occurring in the evening.
Of, relating to, or resembling a wasp or wasps.
1. Of, relating to, or associated with the yolk of an egg.
2. As a color, having the yellow hue of an egg yolk; dull yellow.
Resembling a viper or that of a viper; having the nature or character of a viper; venomous, viperous; viper-like.
1. Colored like the yolk of an egg; deep-yellow with a tinge of red.
2. In early use specifically of bile.
Of, relating to, belonging to, or resembling veal or a calf or calves.
Of or belonging to the family Viverridae, that includes small carnivorous mammals such as the civets and mongooses.
A reference to birds.
Characteristic of a fox; similar to a fox; cunning, sly.
1. Of or pertaining to a vulture or vultures.
2. Characteristic of, like that of, a vulture; rapacious, predatory.
Related to, resembling, or characteristic of zebras.
1. The sable, a small carnivorous quadruped, of the family Mustela zibellina.
2. A soft smooth woollen material with a slightly furry surface like the fur of the sable, used for womens clothing.