metro-, metr- (Greek: mother [family member]).
A government of a mother or mothers (or women).
1. Derived from the name of a mother or other female ancestor, especially by addition of a suffix or prefix indicating descent. Also said of such a suffix or prefix.
2. Also applied to a people or state of society where such a system of naming prevails.
3. A name derived from that of a mother or maternal ancestor.
1. Literally, "mother city".
2. A very large city, often the capital or chief urban center of a country, state, or region.
Constituting a large urban area, usually including a city and its suburbs and outlying areas.